Students Plan, Direct, Produce, Record, & Act In Their Own Short Film Or Video Segment
We teach filmmaking in a fun, accessible way – students in grades 5th-12th learn how to produce, act, and star on in their own short film or video segment while building self-confidence and a sense of achievement.
Our sessions are specially designed to give students the opportunity to learn how movie making works and are organized for students of all ages to learn according to their interests and abilities. We start by collaboratively planning with small steps before moving on to progressively more challenging choices. Week-by-week, we dive into production and learn basic production concepts including acting on camera, lights, sound, visual storytelling, audition, acting, and production as students work together to rotate through crew assignments and make their own production.
Central to our process is "students as creators" – we encourage students to at the heart of their creations and have their ideas be central to the storytelling process. We work with them to brainstorm ideas and come up with fun, meaningful, and rewarding productions which they take ownership in while learning.
Our classes are customized for each student, emphasizing fun for our young students as they practice both on camera and behind the scenes and more in-depth lessons for older or more experienced kids. Each student also receives a link to their full class video as well as public recognition on our website and social media. Sessions wrap up with an optional screening of their their pre-recorded segment to share with family, friends, and community. Screenings can take place at their respective school for classes held at schools (see below), or at our Downtown Studio at 165 Newark Ave in Jersey City for our classes held at our Studio. Our 1,500 square foot studio includes "4K" digital video cameras, wireless microphones, multi-aspect lighting equipment, and additional production gear.
- Story Creation
- Acting On Film / On Camera
- Producing (Lights, Camera, Sound)
- Build Confidence
- Gain Achievement
- Practice Teamwork
- Learn Technical Behind-The-Scenes Production and On-Camera Presentation Skills
- Weekly On-Camera and Behind The Scenes Lessons & Practice
- Digital Portfolio & On-Line Links for Sharing Class Production
- Digital Headshot
- Showcase Film Screening – Invite your family and friends to see your child's short film!
Schedule & Class Details (At Our Studio)
- Duration – 90 Minute Weekly Sessions
- Ages – 5th to 8th Grades & 9th to 12th Grades
- Dates – Holiday Makeup Dates Provided
- Maximum Students – 8 / 10 Per Class
- Instructor – Kris Van Nest
- Presented by – THISLEARNING®
- Prerequisite – Interest in filmmaking, videography, having fun on camera, and learning behind the scenes.
Bring Filmmaking To Your School
We offer all-inclusive packages for in-school or after-school classes at your location.
Our schedule and class details above can be customized for your school's goals and needs.
Please contact us for more information.